akmods: You think I would have learned my lesson with avidemux :)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Sep 23 18:42:29 CEST 2011

On 09/23/2011 06:12 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Kevin Kofler<kevin.kofler at chello.at>  wrote:
>> Richard Shaw wrote:
>>> I'm guessing here, but I assume the reason for "Before=prefdm.service"
>>> is to make sure akmods runs prior to X coming up?
>>
>> Even though I didn't write that line, I'm fairly sure that's what it is for.
>> Starting up X before your graphics driver finished compiling is not going to
>> work properly.
>>
>> That said, the problem there is, this works for graphics drivers, but what
>> about akmods for wireless networking, for example? If you have systemwide
>> wireless connections set up in NetworkManager, you have to have the akmod
>> built before NetworkManager starts up. But if you only use akmods for a
>> graphics driver, or even for some obscure driver not needed at bootup at
>> all, your boot will block needlessly if NetworkManager waits for them.
>>
>> The problem is, ordering constraints are highly dependent on what akmods
>> you're actually using.
 >
> Sounds like for the time being we need to go with the safest
> (earliest) point for the time being.
Right.

> Does prefdm fit this requirement?
I'd say no, Prefdm is one of the latest services being started.

It may suffice the graphics driver case, it's very likely much too late
for other modules, because services before prefdm will require activated
kmods to be able to start up properly (printer drivers. network drivers
(consider ldap/nis-based authentication, nfs-based-autofs etc.)

Openly said, I doubt there is any suitable point :-)

Ralf