akmods systemd support

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 15:45:28 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know how many akmod users really built their modules at the boot step.
> Akmods is supposed to "trigger" a packaged kernel installation and
> rebuilt the specific akmod packages, so in "most ?" situations, the
> modules are supposed to be already available on early boot if not in
> initramfs.

This begs the question: If it's supposed to be built upon kernel
install then do we even really need a service? If the correct files
are not available on kernel install then why would they all of a
sudden available after a reboot?

> This will probably not work when kernel is not packaged or packaged in
> a way that doesn't know /etc/kernel/* scripts.

If' someone is running a from scratch kernel, should we even try to
support that usage? I would think people using a non-packaged kernel
should know how to take care of building kernel modules themselves.

> On the opposite side, we could still consider to build the module on
> stop and implement a fallback to deselect the latest kernel if some
> modules fail to build for any reason.
>
> The problem with the build on boot is that if something goes wrong,
> it's probably already too late and it is very annoying to recover from
> there. But It can still be possible to reload prefdm or the network
> and that should cover the most case when the build succeed.

Agreed.

> So I think only the akmods package should have an units file for now
> and see how it goes and if using a specific unit for each akmod really
> worth it.

Maybe we should run on shutdown instead of boot? This should be pretty
easily done with systemd...

One other option. It was mentioned on fedora-devel that %trigger in
the akmods spec might be the better option than relying on
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/ but I'm not sure how that would work with
needing to install a package...

Richard