ffmpeg-0.11 in F-17

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 08:22:15 CEST 2012

2012/8/20 Sérgio Basto <sergio at serjux.com>:
> On Sáb, 2012-08-18 at 10:24 +0200, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
>> 2012/8/18 Julian Sikorski <belegdol at gmail.com>:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > where do we stand on ffmpeg-0.11.x rebuild? I it good enough to warrant
>> > pushing to F-17?
>
> Since we are talking about push things from F18 to F17.
> First we need push x264 , how about push first x264-0.124 in F17 ?
Nope, ABI breaking packages are not expected in stable release.
(Heh I remember to have already said that earlier).

Or at least it would need to provide a very compelling reason to do
that, which usually cannot hold with x264.

Also despite updating major ffmpeg was previously done in RPM Fusion,
that was done at that time where only the very last HEAD snapshot was
supported by ffmpeg upstream. Worth to mention that API/ABI
compatibility was still targeted at that time. Nowadays it seems that
several branches aimed to be maintained at the same time. So there is
no reason not to track the 0.10.x release branch for F-17.

If you really want ffmpeg-0.11 branch, then it's a good reason to
start looking at F-18 and to do testing  there.