gcc 4.7 programming question related to MythTV

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 14:20:39 CET 2012

I was trying to build the latest 0.24/fixes branch of MythTV and ran
into an issue where many C files were using functions (usleep, write,
close, gethostname, etc.) that were not available/(in scope?). It
turns out that unistd.h provided these functions so I included it in
all the offending files which allowed building to complete.

Is there any reason this would be unsafe (or non-portable)? I've
submitted a patch upstream but I'd like to get current builds out if
there's no reason not to.

Thanks,
Richard