Bundled libs (revisited)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Feb 11 10:38:34 CET 2012

Alec Leamas wrote:
> I have found yet another bundled lib in my review request 2140
> (bombono).  The lib  is Adobe Source Libraries (ASL), a large,
> general-purpose addon to STL and boost. The situation:
> - bombono includes some files from ASL, clearly a bundling situation.
> - ASL depends on boost 1.44, two versions behind current 1.46.
> - The nature of ASL (large, general-purpose) probably means that they
> will always lag boost by one or more versions. At least, this is what
> the release history shows.
>
> So, packaging ASL means dependencies on an outdated boost version. To be
> frank, I have no idea how to handle this.

It's your job as the maintainer to make the code work with the latest
version of Boost, with or without upstream's help.

FWIW, it looks like the RussianFedora folks are working on packaging ASL:
https://github.com/bookwar/libasl
http://koji.russianfedora.ru/koji/taskinfo?taskID=21717
It seems to actually build fine against the current Boost in Fedora. You may
want to talk to Aleksandra Bookwar about getting this into Fedora proper.

        Kevin Kofler