Any interest in sox with MP3 support?

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 22:30:13 CET 2012

2012/2/24 Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Isn't sox modular enought to allow plugins ?
>> It might be an option for the fedora package.
>
> Yes, it does offer plugins with dlopen support but from my research[1]
> it seems that it still needs to pull in the required -devel packages
> for the headers.

You missunderstood, more basically:
You pick the sox package, you rename it with sox-freeworld.
You add the lame-devel and others and remove the final files that are
already provided by sox.
Probably that the sox binary is more or less the same as the fedora package.
You will ends with a sox plugin for lame/mp3 support.

If the module support isn't enabled in sox, this probably need to be
coordinated with the fedora package.
I remember to have sent a patch to sox upstream about that.