Updating mplayer: how about using bundled ffmpeg?

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 10:46:03 CET 2012

Hi,

I was trying to update mplayer and most of the problems I am having are
due to using shared ffmpeg, which is discouraged and unsupported by
upstream. The latest error is:

libmpdemux/mp_taglists.c:27:34: fatal error: libavformat/internal.h: No
such file or directory

when trying to build 20120204 snapshot. Looking at the svn log, this was
added in revision 34243 (from 20111023). This all seems to indicate that
trying to use system ffmpeg is an uphill battle which will always going
to keep our mplayer behind, as well as piss upstream off when we come
asking for help.
The alternative would be to switch to mplayer2. What are your opinions?

Regards,
Julian