Updating mplayer: how about using bundled ffmpeg?

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 12:10:47 CET 2012

W dniu 26.02.2012 11:18, Nicolas Chauvet pisze:
> 2012/2/26 Julian Sikorski <belegdol at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was trying to update mplayer and most of the problems I am having are
>> due to using shared ffmpeg, which is discouraged and unsupported by
>> upstream. The latest error is:
>>
>> libmpdemux/mp_taglists.c:27:34: fatal error: libavformat/internal.h: No
>> such file or directory
>>
>> when trying to build 20120204 snapshot. Looking at the svn log, this was
>> added in revision 34243 (from 20111023). This all seems to indicate that
>> trying to use system ffmpeg is an uphill battle which will always going
>> to keep our mplayer behind, as well as piss upstream off when we come
>> asking for help.
>> The alternative would be to switch to mplayer2. What are your opinions?
>
> I have no problem with moving to mplayer2 unless it's tight to
> switching to libav over ffmpeg. But I don't think it  would be
> related.
> Is there any drawback to moving to mplayer2 ?

Well, I am not sure really. The last release was almost a year ago, but
the git has been relatively active:

http://git.mplayer2.org/mplayer2/

mplayer has a much bigger developer base, though.

> The current situation cannot hold any longer given that even for minor
> ffmpeg update, I need to rebuild mplayer anyway. So given that's not
> supported upstream I cannot see any reason to continue with this
> situation.
>
> Thx for working on this.
>
> Nicolas (kwizart)

I'd say the best solution would be to build mplayer using internal
ffmpeg, and then offer mplayer2 as an alternative. I have a working spec
for mplayer w/ internal ffmpeg, it only does not build on rawhide due to
gcc-4.7 shenaningans.

Julian