Need advice: kmod-wl and akmod-wl with kernel >= 3.6.0

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 23:16:38 CET 2012

2012/11/7 Nicolas Viéville <nicolas.vieville at univ-valenciennes.fr>:
> Hello community,
>
> I currently have to face some bug reports against the Broadcom kmod-wl
> package for kernel >= 3.6.0 in F-16 and F-17, since I switched that
> module to the new kernel wireless API CFG80211. The old one, aka WEXT,
> will be dropped in future kernels
> (https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=10bab00afed042c1a38ed5ffb135e2aea5ce1277).
>
> The problem is that some platforms work out of the box with the current
> packages, and some others need some tweaks.
>
> The two tweaks are:
> - include lib80211 lib80211_crypt_tkip wl modules in kernel initramfs in
>   order to avoid a kernel panic at boot time.
modinfo -F depends wl shows
lib80211 but not lib80211_crypt_tkip is is possible to avoid the crash
by explicitely listing the lib80211_crypt_tkip module in depends
instead ?

I tried to avoid the need of recreating the initramfs for the nvidia
case. That's a very critical operation.
If you cannot workaround the issue, the best would be to run the
dracut command in %posttrans of the broadcom-wl so it avoids a run
condition with the kmod-wl. (like what is done with plymouth).

Now maybe your issue is related to the blacklisting of the b44 and
others drivers, in which case better would be to use
/usr/lib/modprobe.d or rd.driver.blacklist when it get fixed.
See https://bugzilla.redhat.com/873220