akmods (nvidia) for EL?

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 22:56:57 CET 2012

2012/11/21 Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com>:
> I've been happily using kmod-nvidia from elrepo for EL for a while now.
> However, to deal with some issues in the current EL6 kernels I've been
using
> the kernel-lt kernel from elrepo, which is not compatible with the elrepo
> kmod-nvidia.  For those situations it would be nice to have akmods
> available.  Does this seem like a reasonable thing for rpmfusion to
provide?

Hi Orion,

Yes it's perfectly reasonable to have akmod and even pre-built kmod-foo for
EL.
The problem is that currently we do not implement kABI so we need to
rebuild the kernel for each new kernel. (which kABI would essentially
avoid).

I don't have time to lead the work, but we need to rebase the tools
(akmod/kmodtool) into devel in order to get ready for later release (EL-7
eventually).