mame builds take forever

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 18:45:28 CEST 2012

Hi,

on a scrubbed mock cache, an 8-thread (make -j8) mock build took 40:24.
Keep in mind that starting with 0.147, mess is built from the same srpm.
The configuration I am sporting here is a Fedora 17 x86_64 install
running gnome shell, on a bare metal Intel Core i7-2720QM and 4 GiB of
system memory. My smolt profile is available here:

http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_1eec606f-137a-46a1-922f-98f40180efa6

The memory usage of the whole system was oscillating between 1.6 and 3
GiB for most of the time, but ld itself required up to 2.4 GiB alone
during the final mame linking. And this is for just x86_64 build at a
time, which probably doubles when i686 is being built at the same time.
I am guessing that what is happening is that the builder runs out of ram
and swaps itself to death. If I could somehow force only one build at a
time, this could help. Otherwise we might need to bump the builder
memory - how much does it have now?

Regards,
Julian