libx264 update for F16?

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Mon Oct 22 13:07:26 CEST 2012

On Seg, 2012-10-22 at 09:00 +0200, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> 2012/10/15 Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>:
> > What's the chance of getting x264 updated in F16? The current version
> > (116) is too old for MythTV 0.26 and I'd like to keep the same version
> > across all releases. I only need >=118 but the same version as is
> > available in EL-6 would be great.
>
> What is the need of newer ABI ? is it because of ffmpeg built within
> mythtv ? or mythtv code that dropped older x264 API ?

Hi, x264 don't have a new ABI , just a soname bump , which will leads to
dependency problems with yum

> I understand that mythtv has a Network protocol that would requires
> several component to be at the same version. But why users are just
> upgrading to the new mythtv in F-17 instead ?

> This will also lead to a
> problem when EL-6 mythtv built will miss one or another dependency ?
> When to stop the updates there ?

On EL-6 we have x264 updated as in F-17 and if we have it on EL-6 why
not on F16 ?
> According to the update policy, several points would make this update
> not acceptable for stable update.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy

Since is not a ABI change , maybe we clear a few points.

As side note , we will not need bootstrap build of x264 because ffmpeg
ABI, doesn't change.

Best regards,
--
Sérgio M. B.