NVIDIA 304.xx

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 19:54:10 CEST 2013

2013/4/6 Sérgio Basto <sergio at serjux.com>

> On Sex, 2013-04-05 at 10:06 +0200, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> > There is a 173.14.37 version available, but for the 304xx legacy
> > serie, It still need some rework to be introduced in F-19.
>
> Still not understand if I need 304.xx or if 173.xx will do , but 173.xx

Both will work but the 173xx is the last driver to support geforce5 whereas
the 304xx serie is the last driver to support geforce 6 and 7.

is not complete ancient and we hope Nouveau drive take care of that.
> (yes I'm suggesting in drop it :) )

Yes, maintaining legacy series is annoying, specially as none will
advertise anything higher than opengl 2.1 or vdpau feature wise. And the
more annoying is the 173xx serie that doesn't support xrandr, and IIRC have
some issue with modern desktops. So nouveau should be a good solution
hardware supported by legacy drivers.

But performance wise, the nvidia driver might still be better for some
hardware, so as soon as nvidia support newer kernel/xorg server I don't
mind to keep legacy series within the repository. And letting users do
their own choice.