Non-redistributable packages: Skype, spotify, ...

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Thu Nov 14 05:35:04 CET 2013

On Sex, 2013-11-01 at 09:56 +0100, Simone Caronni wrote:
> On 1 November 2013 02:42, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>         > I'm going to complain about this to FPC, and if they ignore
>         the issue,
>         > escalate it to FESCo. This kind of package has no business
>         being in
>         > Fedora!
>

>         https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/362
>

> Apparently for the legal team this is acceptable. As I already stated
> before I'm very surprised that it has passed legal review; but if it's
> acceptable for them...
>
> I would feel more comfortable though if these packages would go in
> RPMFusion instead of Fedora. This way Fedora would promote only 100%
> free software and all reviews would not have the FE-LEGAL burden.

Hi, Simone, thanks for resuming this thread, I think lpf-skype is
welcome to RPMFusion nonfree , and 100% agree with you. Doesn't make
sense to me Fedora promoted nonfree software . Kelvin is right on saying
this goes against packages guidelines.

But lpf have the capacity to turn around Legal stuff, with
Non-redistributable software like Adobe flash and it is impossible live
without flash at least in my world, so Fedora lose many people, just
because, easily they can't install Non-redistributable software.

I think we should put it on tests on RPMFusion see how it goes and
discuss this with all Fedora community deeply, because it will be a big
change . We can't decide this alone I think.

--
Sérgio M. B.