ffmpeg-2 help request for dvbcut and best practices...

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 10 00:03:22 CEST 2013

Hi, my package dvbcut relies on ffmpeg, and has hence needed a fairly
solid hand to get compiling under ffmpeg-2. While it now builds locally
and in the buildsys OK, my incomplete patches cause failures during the
application runtime.

This package provides multiple export capabilites; 2 via the authors own
mpeg2 de/re multiplexing code, and 3 others using libav (ffmpeg). When
the later is chosen, the application crashes.

1.
What is the best practice regarding use of functions marked deprecated
in libraries an application is using ?

e.g. I was thinking to adjust the application code's conditional
compilation based on ffmpeg library versions to use the newest version
of each ffmpeg function that is available. At the moment, these #if defs
rather point at the last version in which the function was still
present. Since a function is often marked deprecated a long time before
it is actually removed from the source, I am hoping that this might
reduce the amount of #ifdef,  #elif,  #elif #else  #endif type of
construct that makes the source as it stands really messy to read.

2.
In relation to (1), I'm also wanting to push the changes upstream to the
dvbcut sources. If it was your upstream project, would you want to
include changes as suggested ?  Why/why not ?

3.
I need some help in upgrading certain ffmpeg calls in the code, and
welcome suggestion in tiding up my patches:
http://cvs.rpmfusion.org/viewvc/rpms/dvbcut/devel/?root=free
especially:

http://cvs.rpmfusion.org/viewvc/rpms/dvbcut/devel/dvbcut-svn179-ffmpeg-0.11.1.patch?revision=1.1&root=free&view=markup

http://cvs.rpmfusion.org/viewvc/rpms/dvbcut/devel/dvbcut-svn179-ffmpeg-2.0-compatibility.patch?revision=1.1&root=free&view=markup

You'll see the incomplete bits usually with a "todo".

Thanks for any help you can give...