introducing 3e-calendar

Michal Altmann michal.altmann at zonio.net
Tue May 6 08:48:24 CEST 2014

Hi, thank you for your replies. My comment's are in the text bellow

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/05/2014 11:31 AM, solarflow99 wrote:
>
> Are you new to package building?  I was also not a fedora packager when I
> came on here, so I went through the online instructions to make sure they
> were as simple as possible, just the way package building should be.  Lots
> of others are willing to help too, did you read the process on the website?

No, we have own repository with rpm packages. Building of these
packages is very straightforward and nice in comparison with apt :)
I already read an instructions from this link :
http://rpmfusion.org/Contributors#Becoming_a_RPM_Fusion_contributor,
made bugzilla and other accounts and now I would like to prepare SRPM
for review.

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Michal Altmann <michal.altmann at zonio.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I would like to introduce myself as a packager of our product
>> called 3e server.
>
> Hi, and welcome!

Hi, thanks

>> I have a question about
>> non-open source codes, because our product is free only for some
>> limited count of users, we do not want to place source code in
>> required SRPM package. I was thinking about some kind of installer,
>> which download precompiled binaries from our website like in the case
>> of flash plugin. Is this an only option?
>
> No, you have multiple options:
> - The most straight-forward would be to package a closed source package, e.
> g.,  like the nvidia drivers. In this case you publilsh binary blobs, and
> package those using the binary as "source" in the rpm sense.
> - You might consider to publish your own repository. Creating a repository
> is not hard. However, you will probably need some help to create the
> packages first anyway.
> - The iinstaller solutions used for e. g., flash and spotify and steam
> reflects the fact that the vendors does not allow redistribution of their
> binary code.
>
> You might want to consider  allowing redistribution or not  proceeding.
> Allowing redistribution (like Nvidia) make packaging much easier. However,
> since you don't have control in this case there is a risk that e. g., other
> distributions might distribute outdated content. I think this is the reason
> other vendors does not allow it, or just distributes an installer.
>

> cheers!
>
> --alec

Thank you for very useful explanation. After reading this :
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines?rd=Packaging/Guidelines,
especially section 'No inclusion of pre-built binaries or libraries' I
was a little bit confused how can we deal with it. But if you say,
that is possible to include own binaries in SRPM, I have no problem
with it and it is definitely better solution than some kind of
installer.

Michal