JavaFX 8 Fedora 21 and ffmpeg

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jan 29 12:08:12 CET 2015

On 15/01/15 21:31, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> Hi, Paul.
>
> On Thursday, 15 January 2015 at 15:00, Paul Howarth wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm curious to see if anyone has had any luck with JavaFX (as bundled with
>> Oracle's JDK 8) on Fedora 21?
>
> Do you mean Oracle's binaries?

Yes.

>> It requires libav{codec,format}.so.53, which were provided by ffmpeg in F-20
>> but the much newer version in F-21 has only the libav{codec,format}.so.56
>> libraries.
>>
>> I see that there's an ffmpeg-compat package, but that provides
>> libav{codec,format}.so.52.
>>
>> Any suggestions for the best way forward to resolve this issue?
>
> You're welcome to provide another (compat-ffmpeg-010x?) package, but
> libav{codec,format}.so.53 comes from FFmpeg-0.10.x, which is no longer
> maintained:
>
> FFmpeg 0.10.15 "Freedom"
>
> 0.10.15 was released on 2014-08-13. It is the latest stable FFmpeg
> release from the 0.10 release branch, which was cut from master on
> 2012-01-26. Amongst lots of other changes, it includes all changes from
> ffmpeg-mt, libav master of 2012-01-26, libav 0.8.15 as of 2014-08-12.
>
> It includes the following library versions:
>
> libavutil      51. 35.100
> libavcodec     53. 61.100
> libavformat    53. 32.100
> libavdevice    53.  4.100
> libavfilter     2. 61.100
> libswscale      2.  1.100
> libswresample   0.  6.100
> libpostproc    52.  0.100

Hmm, looks like a poor choice from Oracle there, but maybe 0.10.x was
the current stable release when they decided on the Java 8 ABI.

Thanks for the info. I personally can live without the JavaFX (in fact I
don't use it so it would be hard for me to test) so I'll pass on making
another ffmpeg-compat package. Perhaps someone else will come forward
if/when they need it.

Cheers, Paul.