port of game-data-packager to Fedora

Alexandre Detiste alexandre.detiste at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 11:57:45 CET 2015

The fedora support branch has now been completely merged in master :-)

Running it from the git tree is explained here:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-games/game-data-packager.git/tree/doc/adding_a_game.mdwn

$ git clone https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-games/game-data-packager.git
$ make

"Then the `./run` command can be used instead of the
system-installed `game-data-packager` command."

Le mardi 3 novembre 2015, 09:54:35 Hans de Goede a écrit :

> Cool! Do you plan to maintain this for Fedora/rpmfusion in the long
> run or is this just a way to exercise your Fedora skills and if we want
> to make use of this do we need to find someone to step up from the
> rpmfusion community to maintain this ?

I'm now running it thourgh virtualbox, maintenance will be more bearable
when I manage to run it in a thin container with full X/OpenGl support.
(systemd-nspawn ?)

The LXC recipe I have at hand doesn't work anymore:
https://github.com/lxc/lxc/issues/626

---

I managed to build the "dumb" noarch rpm's produced by G-D-P by using
a simple "%files" stanza and shoving the generated specfiles to "rpmbuild -bb";
but I have more difficulties in writing G-D-P's own .spec file,

It should be really easy to package by someone who is used to;
one just needs to do 'make ; make check'
and fill version.py with constants:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-games/game-data-packager.git/tree/debian/rules

---

The generated .rpm always go to ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch/
where the default is $(pwd) on Debian; I didn't found a simple
way to overide this, but maybe that's not desired and
it's better to remove the "--destination" option.

Having a option not to compressing 2GB rpm's that'll be used locally
or rpm's that are zipfile + little else (like Quake .pk? archives) would
be nice too.

---

All scummvm & z_code games (Zork, H2G2) should already work as-is.

For the other games, the assets are located where the Debian-packaged
engines except those, thus mostly in /usr/share/games/<something>

See "grep usr/share/games data/*.yaml".

So each engine needs to be reviewed.

---

Bonus: the git tree also include a launcher for the
"Master Levels for Doom II"; you may want to generate
a seperate .rpm with this:

https://wiki.debian.org/Games/MasterLevelsForDoomII

Thnigs like "['update-alternatives', '--list', 'doom']"
needs porting; I'll handle that.

> I guess upstream dynamite may have done this because the rest of
> dynamite is MIT licensed, I wish they would have just asked though
> (maybe they could not find me as me @hhs.nl email has been dead for ages)
>
> For the record I'm fine with re-licensing this tiny blurb of source-code
> under MIT.

Well, I thought of that when I read the ML archives :-)

Found new upstream location, filled a bug there:

https://github.com/twogood/dynamite/issues/1

twogood has also recently added support for some old fancy archives
to unshield recently :-)

> > Two interresting dependencies of G-D-P I didn't found in rpmfusion
> > are innoextract & lgogdownloader; when installed a setup....exe
> > sold by GOG.com can be automaticaly downloaded & repacked as a .rpm
>
> That is cool, what are the licenses of these 2 utilities ?

Both are in Debian/main,
- innoextract is MIT licensed & also has it's own rpm repository
- lgogdowloader is 'What The F**k' licensed (=~MIT)

innoextract is now pretty much done,
but lgogdownloader can break anyday when GOG.com changes it's API;
so this needs more frequent updates like youtube-dl .

There's also Steam integration to repack games like Doom,
Quake, Wolfenstein that are only sold as windows game;
so one needs to run Steam in wine to download the game,
but then can play those with a native engine:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-games/game-data-packager.git/tree/game_data_packager/build.py#n2383

Another use for this is that the .deb can be generated on a amd64 PC with Steam installed
& then can be moved to a armhf RaspBerry running RaspBian (without Steam available).

Regards,

Alexandre