port of game-data-packager to Fedora

Alexandre Detiste alexandre.detiste at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 17:07:02 CET 2015

Le mardi 3 novembre 2015, 14:49:47 Hans de Goede a écrit :

> > I'm now running it thourgh virtualbox, maintenance will be more bearable
> > when I manage to run it in a thin container with full X/OpenGl support.
> > (systemd-nspawn ?)
>
> Ok, so you do plan to maintain it, that would be great as we
> are currently having a shortage of active packagers for rpmfusion.

Yes I can maintain this one package.

I don't like the "summer of code" mindset of releasing something
half done & then disapear. I'm also interrested into Fedora
users contributing details of games(/versions) missing.

> > The generated .rpm always go to ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch/
> > where the default is $(pwd) on Debian; I didn't found a simple
> > way to overide this, but maybe that's not desired and
> > it's better to remove the "--destination" option.
>
> You can pass:
>
> --define "_rpmdir $(pwd)"
>
> to rpmbuild to use the cwd as output dir, the rpms will then be written
> to $(pwd/noarch I do not believe there is a way to get rid of the "noarch"
> part of the path.

It's a bit ugly, but --define "_rpmdir /tmp" might be of use
if user want to install package right away without keeping the rpm.

> > Having a option not to compressing 2GB rpm's that'll be used locally
> > or rpm's that are zipfile + little else (like Quake .pk? archives) would
> > be nice too.
>
> Erm, I'm pretty sure you can do that too, but I do not know how.

I found what I needed : "%define _binary_payload w0.gzdio"
&  "%define _binary_payload w1.gzdio" .

> > All scummvm & z_code games (Zork, H2G2) should already work as-is.
> >
> > For the other games, the assets are located where the Debian-packaged
> > engines except those, thus mostly in /usr/share/games/<something>
> >
> > See "grep usr/share/games data/*.yaml".
> >
> > So each engine needs to be reviewed.
>
> Yeah, we typically put game-data under /usr/share/foo rather then
> /usr/share/games/foo. But for things like scummvm you likely also
> provide a .desktop for the game, passing in the right options to
> start the game ?  Then using /usr/share/games should be fine.

Yes, indeed when a .desktop file is also generated, the assets can go anywhere;
residualvm is also already ok.

> >> That is cool, what are the licenses of these 2 utilities ?
> >
> > Both are in Debian/main,
> > - innoextract is MIT licensed & also has it's own rpm repository
> > - lgogdowloader is 'What The F**k' licensed (=~MIT)
> >
> > innoextract is now pretty much done,
> > but lgogdownloader can break anyday when GOG.com changes it's API;
> > so this needs more frequent updates like youtube-dl .
>
> Ok, so license wise both can go to Fedora proper rather then rpmfusion.
>
> innoextract definitely should go to Fedora proper.

> lgogdownloader is more interesting. Which also makes me wonder about
> game-data-packager itself. I really do not see any reason for them not to
> be in Fedora proper, but I must admit it sort of a gray area.

Both of these utilities are just a single C++ binary built with cmake + boost;
so it should have been easy to build those by hand, but Fedora is lacking
two dependecies: rhash & htmlcxx .

So this is now 4 packages that are needed :-(

I found a recipe here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:i-GMQKVEu58J:xmodulo.com/download-gog-games-command-line-linux.html+&cd=3&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=us

I think I can handle a noarch python package, but when it comes to C++
packages that needs extra versioned libraries that gets a bit more difficult to handle.

So for now I'll just use/suggest the innoextract package provided by upstream.

> I think you may want to mail Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com>
> about how acceptable both of them are for Fedora. He is the go to
> persons for questions like these, and any answer he gives is the
> definitive answer.

lgogdownloader can also be used to download pay-per-view indie movies
about My Little Pony fans and other things...

http://www.gog.com/movie/bronies_the_extremely_unexpected_adult_fans_of_my_little_pony

I wouldn't fight over inclusion of this or G-D-P in Debian main,
so here also I won't either.

I already got 2 relevant answers here before posting to rpmfusion ML:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/games/2015-November/thread.html

Alexandre