Introduction, potentially packaging Dwarf Fortress for -nonfree

Ben Rosser rosser.bjr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 20:28:43 CET 2016

Hello!

I'm a sponsored Fedora packager, who's new to rpmfusion, and undergraduate
student (senior) at Johns Hopkins University studying computer science and
physics. The reason I'm finally (after using it since Fedora 13) looking
into contributing to rpmfusion is:

A few weeks ago, a friend mentioned that Dwarf Fortress (
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/), a closed-source but
free-to-redistribute game, is packaged for Arch Linux. I was surprised
because I didn't actually realize DF was free to redistribute, but I
checked the license and confirmed that indeed, it is [*].

So I started wondering if this was something we could get into
rpmfusion-nonfree. While Dwarf Fortress is *mostly* closed source, the
graphics code is open source; the Arch maintainer is tracking changes to
the graphics code in a github repository here:
https://github.com/svenstaro/dwarf_fortress_unfuck. So the Arch package (
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/dwarffortress/ ) compiles
the graphics code, removes the bundled libraries, and also includes a
.desktop file and launcher script.

Based heavily on the Arch package, I've written an RPM spec file:
https://mars.arosser.com/fedora/rpmfusion/dwarffortress.spec. Note that the
package only builds for i386, but can be installed on x86_64 just fine.

I guess I have two questions before submitting an actual review request for
this:

1. Is this the sort of thing that belongs in rpmfusion-nonfree? Are we able
to package this? I believe so, but wanted to check first.

2. How do rpmfusion policies feel about the use of /opt for packages? I
know that in Fedora, it's very strongly discouraged. The Arch package drops
Dwarf Fortress into /opt/dwarfforrtress; my RPM currently does the same
thing. It could be moved elsewhere, but I'm not entirely sure where since
there are both binaries and data (so /usr/share/dwarffortress would
probably be a bad path, for instance).

Thanks in advance!
Ben Rosser

[*] The full text of the license for DF reads: "Copyright (c) 2002-2012.
All rights are retained by Tarn Adams, save the following:  you may
redistribute the binary and accompanying files, unmodified, provided you do
so free of charge.  If you'd like to distribute a modified version of the
game or portion of the archive and are worried about copyright
infringement, please contact Tarn Adams at toadyone at bay12games.com."