[akmods: 3/3] Merge branch 'el7'

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Nov 25 03:00:27 CET 2016

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> Only fast-forward merges should be done from non-master branches to
> master. Otherwise we're getting junk "merge commits" unnecessarily.

A single bidirectional merge is actually the most effective way to make the
branches fast-forwardable again and avoid any future such merge commits. I
always do that if somebody breaks fast-forwardability in my packages.

The idea is, you merge master into el7, creating one last "Merge master into
el7" merge commit, then you merge el7 fast-forward into master, which fast-
forwards master to that merge commit. It makes the history in master a bit
more messy, but it avoids polluting the branch history with more unnecessary
merge commits in the future.

And the fault for the messy master history lies not with whom did the
bidirectional merge, but with whom made the branches diverge to begin with.

        Kevin Kofler