Update ffmpeg in F24 to 3.1.x ?

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu Oct 13 05:37:01 CEST 2016

On 10/12/2016 09:15 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Huh? Upstream says 3.1 is API- and ABI-compatible to 3.0 (with only one
> application needed fixing for some reason), so it should be perfectly
> suitable as an update. This is similar to Qt upgrades that have often been
> done in Fedora (where there are also a few odd packages that invariably need
> rebuilding due to (ab)using private Qt APIs).

Yes, we don't /need/ to rebuild every ffmpeg-using app. However, Kodi caches the
version you compile against so it will continue to erroneously report you are using
FFmpeg 3.0. Other apps, like mpv, do the same but actually fail if you use a
different version at runtime. I would feel safer if we went ahead and rebuilt if it
is pushed to F24.

> Introducing a second package for the new version is a horrible idea, it will
> lead to symbol conflicts (in applications accidentally transitively linking
> both versions) and a waste of space. I would just upgrade the existing
> package to the new version.

We don't need to add a second package for this.