Reverse weak dependencies in RPMFusion packages

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 13:59:37 CEST 2016

<dominik at greysector.net>:
> Dear RPMFusion contributors!
>
> In light of https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/61 and
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Third_party_software_proposal
> should we start adding Supplements: or Enhances: weak dependencies
> to, say, ffmpeg and other packages?

I don't understand the Workstation 3rd party proposal yet. I think
it's not even relevant to us and even less relevant to the
Suggest/Enhance discussion raised here.
So I'm only focusing on the council ticket 61. This ticket currently
states few things:
1/ Fedora packages aren't allowed to use Suggest/Enhance (even less
Requires) for packages outside of Fedora Collection proper.
2/ If "Recommends/Suggest" was appropriate of a particular Fedora
package to point to a 3rd party package , then the alternative and
workaround is to use "Supplements/Enhance" from the 3rd part package
to the fedora one, which is the reverse "Partners".

So first when talking this isn't a new topic. We already have
experienced the same kind of behavior when yum has gained the
capability to merge all repos groups (1) together and install new
packages from the merged groups.
Before that time, our groups was mostly relevant for display in yumex
and at install time (anaconda) for users having enabled the repos with
a kickstart file or during the anaconda installation. After that, all
users was affected by our repos design and some users complained about
"packages installed in their back" on the next yum update. That was
mostly because we had gnome-mplayer installed by default in the
Desktop group, which isn't desired by some users. Later the new yum
feature was reverted (IIRC) before we had redesigned the groups layout
with a better minimal default for the next Fedora release.

With theses weak dependency, we are moving a property from the repo to
a particular package. Which means we need to rebuild the package each
time theses property have changed.

Just to be accurate, we are not taking about allowing weak
dependencies in RPM Fusion, those should be allowed as per the Fedora
packaging guideline that unless stated otherwise and apply to us.
(Just before someone raise the point,  we do not allow Fedora to make
direct decision to some concern that apply to us, as we are
nevertheless a separate project).