Reverse weak dependencies in RPMFusion packages

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Sep 5 19:04:13 CEST 2016

On 09/04/2016 12:40 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> On 09/03/2016 01:50 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>>> Dear RPMFusion contributors!
>>>
>>> In light of https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/61 and
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Third_party_software_proposal
>>> should we start adding Supplements: or Enhances: weak dependencies
>>> to, say, ffmpeg and other packages?
>>
>> IMHO, no. This decision is severe mistake.
>
> Why? This use case is exactly what the reverse versions are for. The Fedora
> repository should not know about RPM Fusion,
Fedora must not know about any 3rd party repo.

> RPM Fusion should know about
> Fedora.  So why should Fedora carry the weak dependencies on RPM Fusion
> packages?
Fedora must not carry any deps of any kind to any 3rd party repo.

... RPM Fusion doesn't have any reason to use weak deps instead of hard
deps[1], but featuritis.

Ralf

[1] That said, I do not see any reason for Fedora to carry weak deps at
all, at least for now, because Fedora's tooling (Noteworthy: dnf) still
doesn't seem to be able handle them properly.