[x264] Update to 0.148-20160924-86b7198 version

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Fri Sep 30 22:46:22 CEST 2016

On Sex, 2016-09-30 at 03:18 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Sérgio Basto wrote:
> >
> > I'd like point out 2 things, 1 - IMHO Package guidelines, is what
> > it
> > says, one guide and is *not* the supreme truth, that I have to
> > follow
> > strictly, 2 - I'm one of the official package maintainer of x264
> > [1] so
> > I felt that I have more property / authorization .
> Sorry, but the naming is misleading there (at least for us non-
> native
> English speakers – I cannot comment on how it sound to a US
> American). The
> Fedora Packaging "Guidelines" are actually not just informative
> guidelines,
> but policies that, for the most part, have to be followed strictly.

Hello ,
Trying focus on what matters, we do not follow strictly the guidelines,
neither here neither in Fedora, I know many exceptions, follow
guideline strictly is an error .
First, think that we can make a guideline that covers all cases is
utopian.
When we have cases coming out of the ordinary, we must have the ability
to do the best and do not do what is in the guides strictly.
Of course does not mean that we can break the rules deliberately, we
have to have a consistent justification and only in cases out of the
ordinary, but we should have some flexibility, IMHO. Also we should try
improve guidelines and include some rules for out of the ordinary
cases.
Now, have a long conversation and argumentation and in the end someone
says "ah but doesn't follow guidelines so no", is a waste of time
because if we begin an argumentation is because we know that is not in
guidelines strictly or else we don't need argue.

Cheers,
--
Sérgio M. B.