tips on keep certain packages while updating (i.e. nvidia drivers)

John Schmitt marmalodak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 20:06:47 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 02:37:38PM +0100, Ismael Olea wrote:
> > This should work. Is yum-plugin-protect-packages enabled?
> >

> I'm testing now with:
>
> $ grep protected_packages /etc/yum.conf
> protected_packages=1
>
> $ cat /etc/yum/protected.d/drivers-nvdia.conf
> kmod-nvidia
> kmod-nvidia-PAE
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia

Is this the final word on this subject?  I've been suffering with this broken nvidia driver problem for a couple of days now, and I didn't know I should have done something like this.  I didn't even know what the protect.d directory was for.

What should I do know to roll back to an older nvidia driver so that my machine works until this gets fixed?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

BTW, where would I track how and when nvidia is addressing this?  http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44 is the only thing I know about.

John