tips on keep certain packages while updating (i.e. nvidia drivers)

Ismael Olea ismael at olea.org
Wed Nov 7 12:07:42 CET 2012

Hi:

I have a little problem when updating my nvidia system: usually new kernel
updates pushes the matching kmod-nvidia package to be updated too (which is
nice) but in the process removes old ones, tipically the ones the system is
using at that moment. I'm not a fan of rebooting except when absolutely
need and this behavior makes mad gnome-shell when I restart it (it eats
lots of memory due to memory leaks from hell).

Do you have any tip to keep just certain packages not removed when
updating? using yum -x or /etc/yum/protect.d/* seems no to work for this.

Thanks in advance.

--

Ismael Olea

http://olea.org/diario/