MythTV on el6: tuner support

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Apr 15 14:51:43 CEST 2013

On 14/04/13 21:17, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:

> 2013/4/14 John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>>
>
>     recognise the tuner - a PCTV 290e dvb-t/t2 usb device - so I'm
>     running an earlier kernel with
>

> You might need to download a dedicated firmware for your dvb device.
> You can have a look on the kernel-doc package, there is a perl script
> for this. (get_dvb_firmware IIRC).
> Of course having the name of the driver you are using for your device
> would help (lsmod output).
>
> Nicolas (kwizart)

I don't think it needs firmware - but as I said, it works under
2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.i686 with the ATrpms v4l packages, so if it does, I
have it.  Maybe 2.6.32-358.2.1, the current el 6.4 kernel, doesn't load it.

lsmod shows these (and many other) modules, but I think these are the
ones specific to this device: tda18271, cxd2820r, em28xx, em28xx_dvb

None of these shows with the new kernel - and nor do more generic dvb or
v4l modules.

It's the first device listed on this page:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T2_USB_Devices

I used the linuxtv.org/media_build script some time ago but at present I
can't get it to work.  Perhaps I should edit the list of devices it aims
to cover.

Perhaps fortunately, this laptop is an nVidia-free zone; that removes
one complicating factor.

John P