nvidia 304.64

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Apr 23 21:01:19 CEST 2013

On 23/04/13 18:41, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Ter, 2013-04-23 at 12:31 +0100, John Pilkington wrote:
>> Hi:  I've just moved my Fedora 17 box from ATrpms to rpmfusion.  I had a
>> problem with OpenGL and nVidia 304.64, which I think I had seen before
>> with the ATrpms build but had worked around by reverting to 304.51
>> That's no longer easy.  I'm using a GeForce 7500 LE card, not vdpau capable.
>>
>> The packages as installed load modules from X.org instead of those from
>> nVidia.  The driver seems ok after editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf like this:
>>
>> Section "Files"
>> #	ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
>>           ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/nvidia/xorg"
>> #	ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions"
>> 	ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
>> 	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
>> EndSection
>>
>> as suggested here:
>>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=286084
>

> repoquery --envra --releasever=17 \*nvidia\*
>
> 1:kmod-nvidia-304.88-1.fc17.3.x86_64
>
> so
> yum install kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
>
> Don't understand if you have any problem , but consider first uninstall
> ATrpms which we already have on repos , to avoid conflicts ...

It crashed and returned me to the login screen when GL was tried (from
mythtvsetup) or queried from the nvidia control panel.

I didn't have updates-testing enabled.  Is it seen as part of the normal
setup?

The latest in updates is what I have now, with nvidia-settings,
nvidia-xconfig showing as updated to 304.60 but ok. I don't think I have
any relevant ATrpms packages installed now, and the URL shows that
304.64 has given other people trouble.

>> And I have another unrelated observation:
>>
>> The '*config-smart-17-2.x86_64' package in nonfree-updates claims to
>> apply to nonfree but is named free and conflicts with the one in the
>> 'free-updates' repo.
>

> you need or use smart ?

I like to have it available, in part for the info that it makes easily
accessible.  I wouldn't expect to use all the flavours that the config
package for 'free' offers.  I just pointed it at the download1 web
pages.  I have 1.4.1 based on the unpatched tarball and Axel's specfile.