Problems with recent Fedora 19 catalyst driver update

Raman Gupta rocketraman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 18:03:57 CEST 2013

I installed the driver directly from the AMD upstream, and found that
the module path (error shown in xorg.0.log and glxinfo) is an rpmforge
packaging bug, as the upstream driver does not attempt to access that
path. However, it appears to try to access a 32-bit library instead,
which is also wrong:

LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo | head -5
libGL: AtiGetClientDriverName: 13.20.4 fglrx (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so
libGL error: OpenDriver: failed to open /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so,
error[/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
[...]

$ file /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

(The one in /usr/lib64/dri/ is correct)

And the permissions on /proc/ati, as noted in the Phoronix post linked
to by Juan, are incorrect in the driver.

Argh... this driver crashes or freezes X regularly, and the open
source radeon driver is completely useless -- just a big black screen
with only a cursor where X should come up. I should have stayed on F17. :(

Regards,
Raman