Problems with recent Fedora 19 catalyst driver update

Raman Gupta rocketraman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 06:14:51 CEST 2013

On 08/06/2013 03:54 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> Hi Raman,
>
> On Monday, 05 August 2013 at 18:03, Raman Gupta wrote:
> [...]
>> Argh... this driver crashes or freezes X regularly, and the open
>> source radeon driver is completely useless -- just a big black screen
>> with only a cursor where X should come up. I should have stayed on F17. :(
>
> What is your GPU? Have you reported your problems with the open source
> radeon driver on Fedora Bugzilla or upstream? In my experience, radeon
> driver is more stable and better in almost any respect than fglrx.

Its a Tahiti (HD 7950). I actually ended up giving the open source
driver another try after all these recent problems with fglrx, and
you're right -- it works rather well.

I did have to create a custom xorg.conf with my screen setup using
most of the elements from the xorg created by amdccle, as without it,
the display was totally corrupted -- this is the problem I was seeing
before, and I may report this upstream, as you suggested. However,
with the custom xorg.conf, it even drives my three-monitor Eyefinity
setup without any issue at all. Great!

Regards,
Raman