kmod-openafs for kernel 3.9.6

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Fri Jul 5 12:28:10 CEST 2013

I've built 1.6.4 for Rawhide, F19, and F18. It will be signed and
pushed to rpmfusion-free-updates-testing in a couple days. Until these
packages are pushed to the RPM Fusion mirrors, you can find the builds
in the build system, here:

http://buildsys.rpmfusion.org/plague-results/fedora-19-rpmfusion_free/openafs-kmod/1.6.4-1.fc19/
http://buildsys.rpmfusion.org/plague-results/fedora-18-rpmfusion_free/openafs-kmod/1.6.4-1.fc18/

Please note that these exact kmod versions will depend on whatever was
set in RPM Fusion's buildsys-build-rpmfusion package at the time. So
for Fedora 19, the new 1.6.4 kmod corresponds to kernel
3.9.8-300.fc19. For Fedora 18, the 1.6.4 kmod is for kernel
3.9.8-200.fc18. (Both of these are newer than the version in your
subject line, "3.9.6".)

Also, that particular Fedora 18 kernel is still waiting in Fedora's
updates-testing queue, and it hasn't gotten very good karma ratings:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2013-11995/kernel-3.9.8-200.fc18
. So buyer beware :)

There are a surprisingly large number of pieces associated with
shipping the right kmods for the right kernel versions at the right
time, and as you know, the cylinders don't always fire off smoothly
all the time. FYI, if you ever want to move more quickly than RPM
Fusion's official builds are moving, you can always use "mock rebuild"
to rebuild the kmod SRPM for whatever kernel you want. For example,
the following command would rebuild the openafs kmod for my
currently-running kernel (uname -r):

mock rebuild openafs-kmod-1.6.4-1.fc19.src.rpm --define "kernels $(uname -r)"

This would be an alternative to using akmods. With akmods, it's a bit
more automatic, but the disadvantage is that you need to install the
various dependencies directly onto your host OS. Mock keeps all the
build deps in a chroot, so it's a bit tidier, and you end up with
"normal" kmod RPMs just like the official ones you'd get from RPM
Fusion.

- Ken