Force manual build from akmod

Richard Allen ra at ra.is
Sat Sep 21 19:16:18 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----

I know I should not feed the Trolls, but I do feel compelled to answer this oh, so helpful comment from Harald here because Linux is very important to me.

First, the Development model of the Linux kernel (and much of the OSS software projects out there) is called RERO (Release early, release often).   The entire point of this model is to speed up the development of the project, the kernel in this case, and striving for higher quality software.

Read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often

My point is, please don't let anyone scare you away from taking part in the process, trying new things and finding bugs. So if you are willing to take part in making the kernel and other OSS software better, don't "keep your fingers from early kernels".
Instead complain when distro's that call them selves bleeding edge, like Fedora does, do not release new kernels in a timely fasion.   Be proud of the fact that you are taking part and helping.

Never let anyone tell you not to install updates from your vendor as that can result in drastic security and stabilty problems on your machine.  If the bleeding edge is not to your liking, you should instead choose one of the LTS (Long Term Support) distro's that are out there.

Second, you are also completely free to select whatever hardware you want based on your own criteria.