My exit from the house that belongs to RPMfusion. Likely will be censored by RPMf.

Kelsie Flynn kelsiegflynn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 19:35:53 CEST 2014

Over the past year I've been working with both external major build RPM
systems to build RPMS for the projects I've been working on.

If posts appears incomplete, it was probably edited by the upstream admin.

Previously, I've had some (naive) idea's of bridging the two repo's to some
extent.
However, that idea was soley mine and did not receive support from where it
needed to be. I also recently had ambitions to move off of el6 completely
and jump on the bandwagon to see if it was a smooth ride. That was also
overly idealistic and naive of me to think.

Given this.
I now no longer ride this fence and try to please both parties. I now will
focus on
ATrpms compatible packages only.

If posts appears incomplete, it was probably edited by the upstream admin.

What does this mean technically?

It means I will not be using any Source RPMS they have been built at
RPMfusion.
I will still build missing packages that are not in ATrpms from EPEL or
upstream.

It means the ffmpeg and other similar "moving target" packages that Axel
and the international community chooses will be matched to all projects
ELmythOS project uses.

It means RedHat EL6 based systems will still be supported to run additional
Qt 4.7/4.8 along side the builtin qt-4.6.2 in el6 proper.

It means I don't have to "reshape a wheel" too often and the result could
be a more robust system.

If your more conservative than the most and prefer to use older versions
for stability over NEW functionality, look no further. Use el6 and
mythtv-0.25.x.

If you want to play in the devel sandbox with the latest toys and look
really cool doing so, you should be on the latest releases of everything.
Regarding that, el7 is where the NEW fuctionality will be so if you want to
play in the mythtv, qt sandbox, use el7 and repos.

If posts appears incomplete, it was probably edited by the upstream admin.

***Everyone understands devs want everyone to use their latest work, that
they can be proud of.
So I do not attempt to insult their innovation, but instead will offer
alternatives
of their older work, that I deem still relevently funtional.

I make my own decisions based on my experiences:
as an End User,
then as a Computer Technician,
then as a former Technical Support worker,
then as Linux Systems Admin
and now as an aspiring Systems Builder, packager and developer.

If posts appears incomplete, it was probably edited by the upstream admin.

Note:
I do not call myself an Engineer because I'm finishing my education still
and it would an insult to repected Engineers to do so. I've learned
everything I know with GED as my current HIGHEST EDUCATION.
If I ever call myself an Engineer , you can bet your $T#$ I will back it up
with a Eng.Degree in Mathematics. For now I'm just a passionate volunteer
Gnobody systems builder with many opinions and high expectations.

I know enough about C/C++ Software development right to be objective, as my
skills improve I will make patches as needed from upstream. This should
help the project stay updated with security updates.

I'm not running a popularity contest. Plenty do that already and miss the
details I'm passionate about.

If posts appears incomplete, it was probably edited by the upstream admin.