wl kernel module

Nicolas Viéville nicolas.vieville at univ-valenciennes.fr
Wed Apr 8 17:59:32 CEST 2015

Hello,

> I trying to find the most robust way to use wl kernel module.
> Initially I installed the wl-kmod package but this didn't seem to cause
> the package with the actual module to be installed
> (kmod-wl-3.19.3-200.fc21.x86_64.x86_64).  The description of the kmod-wl
> indicates it should require the package for the latest package but I do
> not see this:
> $ rpm -qR kmod-wl
> akmod-wl = 6.30.223.248-7.1.fc21
> rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
> rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
> rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
> rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1

Sometimes, there is a delay between the release of the last kernel
update provided by fedora and the release of the corresponding kmods
provided by rpmfusion.

> Manually installing the package works but I guess will not survive a
> kernel upgrade.
>
> Next I looked at akmods-wl.  yum install akmods-wl does not seem to
> trigger a module build.  Then I tried:
> $ sudo akmods --akmod wl
> Checking kmods exist for 3.19.3-200.fc21.x86_64            [  OK  ]
> Files needed for building modules against kernel
> 3.19.3-200.fc21.x86_64 could not be found as the following
> directories are missing:
> /usr/src/kernels/3.19.3-200.fc21.x86_64/
> /usr/lib/modules/3.19.3-200.fc21.x86_64/build/Is the
> correc[FAILED]-devel package installed?
>
> So no kernel-devel package installed.  The akmods package appears depend
> on kernel-devel-uname-r but kernel-devel wasn't installed on my system.
> Now I've manually installed it and the command above works.  Lets see
> what happens on next kernel upgrade.

This should work fine once kernel-devel package installed.

> Could someone advise whether the above some like bugs or whether I'm
> doing something wrong?

If we refer to
http://rpmfusion.org/Packaging/KernelModules/Kmods2#kmod-foo-.3Ckernel-version.3E_package
kmodtool on witch akmods depends on should set the correct kernel-devel
package as a requirement. But there seems that it's not working
correctly for you. Maybe you should report the issue on the rpmfusion
bugzilla.

Cordially,

--
NVieville