Why akmod fails on F22 for nvidia (and possible other uses)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Aug 24 15:36:06 CEST 2015

Am 24.08.2015 um 15:29 schrieb Barry Scott:
> On Thursday 20 August 2015 16:27:15 Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 20.08.2015 um 16:20 schrieb Dave Pawson:
>>> Updated software via GUI.
>>> new kernel 4.1.5-200.fc22.x86_64
>>>
>>> Usual song and dance.
>>> #akmod --force worked as previously.
>>
>> and you are sure the timers are not running?
>>
>> "disable" is bulls** if you really want something not have started
>>
>> * enable:  start units unconditional
>> * disable: start units on triggers/demand
>> * mask:    never start soemthing
>>
>> systemctl mask dnf-makecache.service
>> systemctl mask dnf-makecache.timer
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30720786/cannot-disable-systemd-service
>
> I have not hit any problem with using disable in practice. But Its nice to
> know about mask, thanks for the info

well, then try to disable "udisks", "upower" or "colord".........

"udisks.service" even don't have a install-section to enable or disable
it and i can't say how much i hate all that "on-demand" crap

well, you need some rsyslog-rules to stop the system whining about the
masked services everytime something would attempt to start them

"upower" (which is completly useless on a workstation) on the machine of
my co-developer started 2 days ago to turn off the monitor directly
after login via KDM into his ordianry KDE session

"systemctl stop upower.service; systemctl mask upower.service" and the
problem is solved