Nvidia cards and Fedora 22 kernel upgrades

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 14:54:25 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Roderick Johnstone <rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Richard
>
> Excuse me if this was documented elsewhere in this thread, but I didn't
> see it explicitly.
>
> I'm seeing the no installed kmod issue after a kernel upgrade and reboot
> too. I have those akmods services enabled but they detect that the build
> during the nightly update failed (due to the transaction lock issue) and
> don't bother to try again. (in my case I use yum-deprecated for the nightly
> updates).

Yes, we're talking about two different failure modes. Enabling the services
only helps if the failure was purely due to a simple failure during the
kernel post transaction execution (the behind the scenes run right after a
kernel update).

2015/07/16 10:43:04 akmods: Checking kmods exist for 4.0.7-300.fc22.x86_64
> 2015/07/16 10:43:08 akmods: Ignoring nvidia-340xx-kmod as it failed earlier
> 2015/07/16 10:43:08 akmods: Hint: Some kmods were ignored or failed to
> build or install.
> 2015/07/16 10:43:08 akmods: You can try to rebuild and install them by by
> calling
> 2015/07/16 10:43:08 akmods: '/usr/sbin/akmods --force' as root.
>
> I didn't see a fix for this in your note about the new akmods package you
> have in testing or in other recent threads, but I might have overlooked
> something.

I'm hoping that since the new akmods script will detect dnf vs. yum that
that will fix a lot of the problems people are having.

> A dirty workaround for me would be to make the akmods.service file run
> /usr/sbin/akmods --force as the ExecStart line, but I have seen reports on
> google that you can't easily pass parameters to the ExecStart command like
> that.

No, options are pretty standard in ExecStart, what you might be thinking of
are other bash commands. Systemd starts executables directly, not within a
"shell" so other things you might expect to work on the command line could
fail but passing options is fine.

Ok, I thought that the --from-init option would also do a force but it
doesn't look like it does. I may add that to ExecStart, the only downside
being that if it's failing for the "right" reason (kernel incompatibility
which happens every now and then) then it will keep trying to build the
module every boot...

Thanks,
Richard