nVidia driver not loading

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Fri Jul 1 23:06:45 CEST 2016

On 28/06/16 01:05, Dave Pawson wrote:
> Note it is the nVidia driver that is failing, hence I need to
> do the opposite of what is being suggested.
>
> The 'blacklisting' mentioned (I think) is done on the Kernel cmd line
> rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau
> and ( I assume, since I didn't change it) is done by the nVidia
> driver installation?
>
> regards
>
> On 27 June 2016 at 22:34, Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On 27 Jun 2016, at 01:14, Robin Laing <MeSat at TelusPlanet.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> A new machine and I have installed the rpmfusion nVidia akmods but xorg is trying to load module "nv", not "nvidia" according the Xorg.0.log.
>>>
>>> Where could the system be trying to load the nv driver instead of the nvidia driver?
>>>
>>> nvidia-xorg.conf exists
>>>
>>> 99-nvidia.conf exists and points to the correct module directories.
>>>
>>> This may be the issue.
>>>
>>> modprobe: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Required key not available
>>>
>>> How do I add a key to nvidia to load the module?
>>>
>>> I need secure boot configured on this machine for Windows 10 and gaming as it is not my computer and will be configured as dual boot.
>>>
>>> Robin
>>
>> I switch between nvidia and nouveau for testing.
>>
>> Here are the steps I use to install the nvidia driver.
>> (I have no idea why you would need to bother with the black listing stuff).
>>
>> Install NVidia closed drivers
>>
>> Fist remove open driver:
>>
>>    dnf remove xorg-x11-drv-nouveau
>>
>> Install closed driver:
>>
>>    dnf install akmod-nvidia
>>    reboot
>>
>> Barry

I was using akmod-nvidia.  The issue is that the kernel or BIOS isn't
accepting an unsigned kernel module.

If I turn on EUFI, system won't load the nvidia kernel module.  Turn off
EUFI, I don't have any issues.

I have searched and I can create a key but as far as I am concerned,
this should be part of the akmods-nvidia package.

Do you do testing with EUFI turned on?

This machine will be a dual boot with Windows 10 (needed for some games)
and Fedora so EUFI is going to be required.