nVidia driver not loading

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 19:05:52 CEST 2016

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 June 2016 at 17:28, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 11:53 PM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> With my problem (update rather than new system), Xorg log shows
> >> similar oddities (my view)
> >> E.g.
> >> LoadModule "nouveau"
> >> LoadModule "nv"  # is this the Nvidia module????
> >> Warning, couldn't open module nv
> >>
> >> Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
> >>

> >> regards

> xorg

> gaming

> > You need to blacklist the nouvea driver.  There are instructions on how
> > do this online.
>
> "Online"? A rather big place - and why can't the install do this?
>

> Here is a guide (not the one I used, it has been several years since I had
to do this):
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/66187/how-to-disable-nouveau-and-install-nvidia/

The nouveau driver is built into the kernel, so you need to blacklist it on
startup using your bootloader.  If it loads, you can't load another
driver.  I believe it was done this way to have some functioning (and open
source) nvidia driver out the box.