Fedora 24

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jun 29 11:16:52 CEST 2016

On 06/29/16 16:11, Dave Pawson wrote:
> I'm still no wiser as to why the Fedora upgrade failed.
> However, I'm now running using Nouveau, so I'm happy - I do not
> need any fast graphics (not a games user!).
>
> The bugzilla asked me to submit a log using ..
> nvidia-bug-report.sh

Well that script is supplied by xorg-x11-drv-nvidia.  So, if you've removed that from you
system that script would have been removed.

> which is not on my system, so that is going nowhere.
>
> Odd no other users have reported it as a problem.

I don't know exactly how it failed for you.  You seem to be using akmods which I am too,
and it worked fine for me.

The only thing that should be noted is this...

I'm pretty sure that F24 was released with 4.5.5-300 kernel and it seems that that is the
latest version available on the rpmfusion repo.

But, very shortly after F24 was released the kernel in Fedora was update to 4.5.7-300.
So, if you upgraded your system via dnf and were using the akmod it would/should have
built the corresponding kmod-nvidia package.  Now, the only rub is that it will have been
rebuilt on the first boot into F24 BUT there is no message to the console that the package
is getting built and it can take several minutes to build depending on the hardware.  In
the meantime you'd be left with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen
and some people may think boot has failed and then abort the procedure.