[CentOS] Status of RPMFusion repo for CentOS 5 and 6 ?

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Tue May 31 23:19:22 CEST 2016

> Le 31/05/2016 à 16:47, Andreas Benzler a écrit :
>> Well specifically for centos-5 .. I am not sure.  But CentOS-5 is less
>>> than a year from EOL anyway, so if you are supporting those in a
>>> desktop, you should be considering how to move them to at least CentOS-6
>>> now (if not CentOS-7).
>
> Well, I just gave RPMFusion a spin on EL5, and I'd say it's more or less
> unusable.
>
> # yum install mplayer
> Error: Missing Dependency: libcaca.so.0 is needed by package
> mplayer-1.0-0.101.20080903svn.el5.1.i386 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
>  You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>
> # yum install ffmpeg
> Error: Missing Dependency: libImlib2.so.1 is needed by package
> ffmpeg-libs-0.4.9-0.52.20080908.el5.i386 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
>  You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>
> I have some CentOS 5.x clients on some very old hardware, and I'd like
> to keep them running 5.x until it's EOL next year.

Hi Nicolas,

The two problems you have mentionned here are not "created" by RPM
Fusion, but because EPEL maintainers have deprecated thoses packages
despites theirs usability creating a break in our dependency needs.
If you want to make a valuable repository using old EL release, please
consider contributing to EPEL instead.

Of course you can still compose your own selfish repository with
content that will better fit your needs.

I really hopes to concentrate on el7 since the migration to the new
infra comes to light.
(spent my whole evening making bodhi/pkgdb to rise up as the new
infrastructure tools)

--
-

Nicolas (kwizart)