Nvidia Drivers

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sun Nov 6 06:43:15 CET 2016

On 11/06/16 12:16, Robin Laing wrote:
> On 05/11/16 18:19, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>

>> On 11/06/16 08:05, lgraves95 wrote:
>>> Thanks for patience. It is hard to accept that we just have wait because we want what we
>>> want when we want.
>>>

>> That's what happens when you have to rely on a 3rd party.  And the 3rd party is a company
>> that isn't primarily interested in supporting Linux.
>>

> They are better than one of the other ones that drops drivers after a few years.
>
> I find that nVidia has been pretty good at supporting Linux and even old cards.  A new
> version of X is a Fedora or Linux issue and nVidia cannot be blamed if Linux is in flux.

I don't use the term "blame" since I don't feel there is blame, only reality.

I suspect nVidia will support the latest version of Xorg-server when it is no longer a
"beta" in at least their most recent drivers.  Yes, nVidia is pretty good at supporting
Linux, but it isn't their core business so there will be a lag.  They may choose to even
support it in their older drivers.

AFAIK nVidia doesn't publish a roadmap which would indicate when they would support the
next version of Xorg.