What is the correct way to upgrade a Fedora system with RPMFusion repos?

Berend De Schouwer berend.de.schouwer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:54:55 CET 2016

On Wed, 2016-11-09 at 11:11 +0100, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> il.com>:
> > On Tue, 2016-11-08 at 16:41 -0500, Vic Ricker wrote:
> > > Looks like it was pushed to the 15th.
> > >
> > > I have used 'dnf system-upgrade', to upgrade several times, and
> > > it's
> > > gone smoothly: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
> > >
> > > I don't think you have to do anything regarding RPM Fusion.  it
> > > just
> > > works.

> > I had a bad GPG key.  One of the rpmfusion files in /etc/pki/rpm-
> > gpg/
> > was linked from 'fedora-25' to 'fedora-24' so upgrading any
> > rpmfusion
> > rpms resulted in dnf repeatedly wanting to install the fedora-25
> > key.
>
> I don't reproduce this symlink issue on any of my f24/f25
> workstations.
> Can you tell us more about it inclusing the exacts steps in order to
> reproduce.
> And the exact fix you have used ?

Sure

'sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=25 --refresh' wanted to
upgrade +-2000 packages, remove +-5 (old kernel) and downgrade +-100
packages.  I'm assuming Koji still has to catch up some updates to f25.

One of the packages was gstreamer-ffmpeg.  This package comes from
rpmfusion.  It wanted to install gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.13-15.fc24
(event though it's upgrading to F25)

That package is signed by GPG key 6806A9CB (rpmfusion fedora 25) even
though the package release is fc24.

dnf kept asking to import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-
fedora-25.  I said  yes, and dnf did successfully import the key.  dnf
then promptly failed to install gstreamer-ffmpeg.  The error message
was something like 'wrong key'.  I don't remember the exact error
message.

It would do this every time it tried gstreamer-ffmpeg.

I did a 'ls -la' on /etc/pki/rpm-gpg, noticed that RPM-GPG-KEY-
rpmfusion-free-fedora-25 was a link to RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-
fedora-24-primary.  I manually did a 'sudo rm ...; sudo ln -sf ...' to
link it to RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-25-primary.

The next 'sudo dnf system-upgrade download' asked to import that key,
and that key import worked.

The next 'sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot' worked too.  It probably took
20 minutes.

So the fix was to correct the link, which was done by
cd /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/ ;
sudo rm RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-25 ;
sudo ln -sf RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-25-primary RPM-GPG-KEY-
rpmfusion-free-fedora-25 ;

In this process I also tried to gpg --recv-key, --export, but then I
noticed that the file RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-25-primary
already existed -- it's just that the link was wrong.