Fedora 3rd Party Repos

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 17:59:53 CET 2007

2007/11/3, Richi Plana <myfedora at richip.dhs.org>:
> On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 16:50 +0100, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >       I've just added a page to the wiki to list many 3rd party Fedora
> > repositories:
> >
> > http://rpmfusion.org/FedoraThirdPartyRepos
> >
> > I hope that it will be useful to track previous packaging attempts or to
> > ask 3rd party maintainers to join RPM Fusion.
>
> Or, at the very least, to come up with packages which would allow
> multiple repo configurations to work well together. It would be nice if
> all 3rd-party repos would join together to become one, but that's
> unlikely to happen.
That's an aim! In my case the "kwizart" repository is targeted to be
usable with Fedora (and/or) livna/rpmfusion. That's an "experimental"
repository which means that packages are working but still need some
work/testing to be submitted in Fedora or Rpmfusion

Case study, here with freevo : http://doc.freevo.org/Fedora_kwizart
As soon as freevo can be compatible with twisted 2.5, i will submit
freevo to Fedora or rpmfusion... (maybe a virtual package like
freevo-suite can be bundled with rpmfusion to bring others
dependencies...)

So as kwizart.repo is "aimed" to be compatible with Fedora or
livna/rpmfusion. It would be a really important to sort which
repositories are compatible with rpmfusion and thoses how are
not...(or thoses that have an unknown status).

AFAIK gemi repository would be compatible with rpmfusion (but
previously there was a problem since it was defined as compatibles
with livna and freshrpms. As incompatibilties are going to be solved I
expect this repository to be compatible with rpmfusion...

RemiFedora and Drpixel are also aimed to be compatible with livna/rpmfusion

> It would be nice (to start) if there could be a master database that all
> 3rd-party repos could consult for their packages. To see what might
> conflict with what. Sort of like a distributed 3rd-party repo system.
> The bittorrent / p2p app system for 3rd-party Fedora apps, as it were.
> How about tacking on that proposal to the wiki and if someone with time
> and skill finds it interesting ...
> --
To be sure, only Fedora officials repositories and RPMFusion will be
compatible with the RPMFusion set of packages...

Then we can have a distinction with:
- Repositories that have been built in mock with Fedora/rpmfusion dependencies
without replacing existing packages... (from Fedora/RPMFusion )
In my case kwizart.repo is safe, kwizart-testing.repo isn't as this is
a potential replacement repository (but should be safe anyway ).

- Repositories that do not uses rpmfusion as a dependencies and should
work with Fedora (probably google and adobe)

- Repository that are knwon not to work with RPMfusion (expect special
case): ATrpms, Paulo Roma , RPMForge )

Nicolas (kwizart)