Hosting and repo layout (was: Re: plague ready; next step: hosting)

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Thu Oct 18 18:41:20 CEST 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> > These scripts could be easily adapted or simply rewritten for
> > rpmfusion, a task I'd offer to do.
> If you're working on this, please take a look at the current scripts and
> include applicable bits - I think at least "keep only N latest versions" +
> repoprune are definitely desirable.
Including these calls shouldn't be a problem, we just need to decide on a
policy for that. How many versions do we wanna keep et al.

> [rsync stuff etc]
> > That way we have an absolut atomic switch to a new repository with no
> > inconsistency at all.
> Doesn't a simply rsyncing with --delete-after --delay-updates accomplish that?
> I don't remember hearing about inconsistencies in the Livna repo after the
> scripts were changed to use those options.

--delay-updates and --delete-after work great if you are only syncing one
repo.

If you need to update two repos atomically you cannot do that with rsync
alone anymore as you can never be sure how long each rsync will take. Even
if you're starting them at the same time but they finish differently
you'll have a desynced repo while the slower sync is finishing. That would
make the many good things about a round-robin main distribution site
somewhat moot. Thus the ssh remote execution logic.

regards,
 andreas