Using RPM Fusion In Anaconda (Was: Re: [RPM Fusion] Update of "RPMFusionInAnaconda" by sunset06)

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 4 13:46:36 CET 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> The comment on the change is:
>> Update to F8/9/10 era, and fix the actual method used.
>> [...]
>> - When you hit the general software selection screen in anaconda,
>> enable Fedora Extras if using Fedora Core 6 or enable "Fedora" if
>> using Fedora 7 or greater by clicking on the Checkbox in front of it.
>> + === Adding the RPM Fusion '''Free''' repositories during install ===
>> + To use the RPM Fusion repos, at least the Free repo must be added.
>> +  1. In the Additional Repositories section, click the '''Add
>> additional software repositories''' button.
>> +  1. In the Edit Repository dialog, set the Repository name: '''RPM
>> Fusion Free'''
>> +  1. Set Repository type: '''HTTP/FTP'''
>> +  1. Set Repository URL depending distribution version:
>> +     - '''release''':
>> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-9&arch=i386
>>

> That's quite a lot to type and easy to get wrong.
I: My thought exactly. Perhaps it would be simpler to point to the
folder containing the repodata folder, and suggest to select -release(s)
and the particular packages the person is interested in.

II: it didn't actually work for me - not sure if I spelt incorrectly in
my VMware install or what.
- I ended up without the /etc/yum.repos.s/rpmfusio* stuff (I think that
is what was meant by the below comment on the wiki)
- nor could I find any rpmfusion packages in anacondas package select
groups.

> I'm wondering if we
> should set up URL aliases somewhere to make life easier for everyone
> that wants to use RPM Fusion in anaconda.
>
> Example:
>
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/alias?f9u-i386-free
> (or something like that= could redirect to
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-9&arch=i386

Perhaps we could hassle Jeremy to allow to define the extra repo by
pointing to a single -release rpm, by either URL or disk location
{including USB}.
He would need to:
{- fire-up a mini web browser, to let the user find the web site and
install instructions}
{- let the user click an rpm. capture the click and fill in the release
rpm text box with the URL}
- grab that rpm
- display the information about the rpm eg RPM Fusion repo definitions
for yum
- display the GPG key so the user could compare with a website published
key, and choose to accept the rpm as legit.
- install (or temporary put it somewhere) it, so that the information
about the repo could be displayed to the user - eg RPM Fusion Free repo.
{- give the chance to select which parts are enabled eg -testing, debuginfo}
- update the package lists/tree to include any rpms available via the
configured repo.
- install the -release rpm as a minimum.

>> + The repository won't be enabled or used in the installed system if
>> you forget to select rpmfusion-release, [...]
>
> Jeremy did some changes to anaconda; hopefully the release packages get
> tracked in by default now in F10 and later; I did not find time to test
> this yet. Anybody interested to drive this forward?
I'm not sure it worked, but I don't know if I did something else
wrong... and I plan to try again.

Actually at the moment, I wouldn't really suggest the during install
way, too many places to go wrong.

DaveT.