VLC & fc8

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:56:20 CET 2008

2008/11/5 Erik van Pienbroek <erik at vanpienbroek.nl>:
> Op woensdag 05-11-2008 om 10:15 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef rontti:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been searching recent VLC 0.9.5 for fc8.  I use acer aspire one
>> netbook, which is based on fc8.
>
> Please note that these netbooks don't use Fedora 8, but a forked version
> of Fedora 8 called Linpus. While it should be possible to install Fedora
> 8 packages onto it, Acer also replaced several libraries (like gtkhtml3)
> with their own and placed those in /usr/acer/lib. The Fedora 8 packages
> aren't aware of this location and thus can cause dependency or runtime
> errors.
If they used replacement libraries accurately and others package
doesn't harcode the path of theses library (using rpath, which will be
an error from the fedora package itself). It should work.
>From what I've been reported, Linpus doesn't provides some package vlc
use as dependencies. (for example libdvdread, pulseaudio, etc)
Either you should be able to install them from the fedora repository,
or you can install vlc-core and vlc with --nodeps

Support for Linpus ends here. (we don't support this OS at RPMFusion IMO)...