VLC & fc8

rontti rontti12 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 13:16:02 CET 2008

2008/11/5 KH KH <kwizart at gmail.com>

> 2008/11/5 Erik van Pienbroek <erik at vanpienbroek.nl>:
> > Op woensdag 05-11-2008 om 10:15 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef rontti:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I've been searching recent VLC 0.9.5 for fc8.  I use acer aspire one
> >> netbook, which is based on fc8.
> >
> > Please note that these netbooks don't use Fedora 8, but a forked version
> > of Fedora 8 called Linpus. While it should be possible to install Fedora
> > 8 packages onto it, Acer also replaced several libraries (like gtkhtml3)
> > with their own and placed those in /usr/acer/lib. The Fedora 8 packages
> > aren't aware of this location and thus can cause dependency or runtime
> > errors.
> If they used replacement libraries accurately and others package
> doesn't harcode the path of theses library (using rpath, which will be
> an error from the fedora package itself). It should work.
> >From what I've been reported, Linpus doesn't provides some package vlc
> use as dependencies. (for example libdvdread, pulseaudio, etc)
> Either you should be able to install them from the fedora repository,
> or you can install vlc-core and vlc with --nodeps
>
> Support for Linpus ends here. (we don't support this OS at RPMFusion
> IMO)...
>
> Nicolas (kwizart)

Many thanks Nicolas, I fully agree, acer related problems should not be
here.  Until now, there have not been any problems using fc8 repos, livna
etc with acer and I hope acer users can continue using those repos.  Of
course there is no guarantee of working and it is up to acer users to solve
any possible problems by themselves.

I have managed to install 0.9.4 just using your instructions (copy missing
dependencies etc.) and seve's rpm's without problems by myself and question
was mainly just availability of 0.9.5 rpm just for standard fc8 users (It's
up to me to take care of any acer related issues if there are any)?

(for ex I have one additional standard fedora installation and use vlc on
that also)

Thanks
Tarmo