VLC & fc8

rontti rontti12 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 17:20:27 CET 2008

2008/11/5 Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info>

> On 05.11.2008 09:19, Conrad Meyer wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 05 November 2008 12:15:49 am rontti wrote:
>>
>>> I've been searching recent VLC 0.9.5 for fc8.  I use acer aspire one
>>> netbook, which is based on fc8.  Acer has tailored fc8 to suit to a small
>>> netbook, so it can not easily be upgraded to fc9.  Acer has been quite
>>> successfull in new netbook market so I assume this problem concerns quite
>>> many people.
>>> Is there any chance to get VLC 0.9.5 for fc8 (even an unofficial one)?
>>>
>> Sure, enable F-9 repositories temporarily just to install vlc (once F-9
>> has 0.9.5).
>>

> Just a note (Conrad, don't take it as offense please): I don't think it's
> wise to give hints like that, as tricks like that can screw up systems
> easily to a point where normal users are unable to get things fixed without
> a reinstall.
>
> Even worse: People that install vlc 0.9.5 from F9 for F8 with above trick
> won't get security updates for it, which especially for package like vlc is
> likely something we don't want.
>
> Just my 2 cent of course. This is a free world and if people want to do
> crazy things they are free to do so ;-)
>
> CU
> knurd

Thanks for the note. I've noticed the importance of repo setup and been
careful.

Regarding the earlier discussion, I feel there might be some
misunderstanding related to acers f8.  I downloaded linpus and it is quite
different than acers f8.  I've analyzed changes.  Acer (probably bought that
work form linpus) have done some small changes in these areas:
- they have created they proprietary applications on top of f8 (/usr/acer
directory, email client etc..)
- they own "skin" to xfce
- changes to boot process (order of some deamon starts have been changed).
Boot is really fast.
In fact it looks like changes are much smaller than many have done to their
so called standard fedora installations.

I've been long time fedora user (five years) and was a bit proud of fedora
beeing on the cutting edge netbook market (one reason for me to buy acer)
and saw this as a opportunity for fedora to increase it's market share.  As
a summary I hope acer users are not ruled out of rpmfusion users, as one
could imagine from the earlier statements.

Regs Tarmo