Presto test repositories for rpmfusion

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 06:55:02 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 00:58 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:29:47 +0200, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> > Whichever machine builds the deltarpms needs loads of RAM (mainly for
> > the really big rpms).  Specifically, you need (uncompressed_size_of_rpm
> > * 3).
> >
> > Other than that, not much
>
> Might be the blocker criterion, however.

Yeah, fair enough.  I've only got 1GB of RAM on the server that's
hosting the test repositories, so when I get alienarena-data updates
(and the like), I just manually kill the makedeltarpm process.  Less
than optimal, I know

> > Yes, though if you're doing rpmfusion-free and rpmfusion-updates-free,
> > ATM that path needs to be a parent directory of both.  In the test
> > repositories, I kludge it by making a rpmfusion+updates-free that
> > contains symlinks to rpmfusion-free and rpmfusion-updates-free. (If
> > that's not clear, check out the directory layout in
> > http://lesloueizeh.com/f9/i386 and you should see what I mean.)
>
> Creating a tmp dir that contains symlinks to the repos would work?

Yes.

> Another hurdle is that the rpmfusion-free repo (= releases -> Everything)
> is not maintained within the pushscript configuration file. Only
> updates and updates-testing are. Example:
>
>  '9' is the dist id for the RPMFusion F9 updates
>  'testing/9' is the id for the corresponding test updates
>
> The absolute/relative path to the releases/9/Everything repo tree would
> need to be added via new config values. Not a big problem, though.

Yeah, that makes sense.  Again, if you add a new config value for the
rpmfusion-release directory and create a temp directory with symlinks to
rpmfusion-release and rpmfusion-updates, it will work fine.

On a side note, I don't mirror updates-testing at all, so I haven't
worked out the best way to do deltarpms for updates-testing.  Obviously,
regenerating all the deltarpms when moving a package from
updates-testing to updates doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but just
copying the deltarpms over may not work properly either (you might have
deltarpms from rpms that never made it into updates).

> > Yes, that looks *way* simpler than the proposed method in Fedora.
> I've
> > got some time tomorrow; I'll see what I can come up with.
>
> I've set up some files to test presto-utils here.
> One thing that doesn't want to work is 'createprestorepo -m <repo
> dir>'.
> It says "Delta directory must exist." which is nothing I understand
> without examining the source code.

Yeah, that's because the createprestorepo programmer is lousy at keeping
his documentation up-to-date.  Oops.  The correct usage of
createprestorepo is 'createprestorepo <base dir> <location to put
prestodelta.xml>'.  Then you use modifyrepo to insert prestodelta.xml
into repodata.

Sorry about that.

Jonathan